Destroying Mac OS X on a real Mac!

For discussion of everything related to Apple's Mac OS X and iOS.
spotify95
A jungle man

Destroying Mac OS X on a real Mac!

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Just seen this recently and thought it may be interesting to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh1QRH3TjaY

If you watch that video, you'll see just how easy it is to destroy Mac OS X - even when running on a real Mac (as opposed to a Virtual Machine).

My advice: make sure you take extreme care when using the "sudo" function on Terminal (the same applies with Linux). The command "sudo rm -rf /", which is used on that video, is well known for totally erasing hard drives and destroying your OS. Don't do it unless you want to reinstall your OS!

P.S. Doing this on Linux (I made a separate thread about that) will give the same result.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Destroying Mac OS X on a real Mac!

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 2:50 pm

I'd loved to have done this on my college's Macs. :cool:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 6:07 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:I'd loved to have done this on my college's Macs. :cool:

That wouldn't have been good!

My university has quite a few Macs but I'd probably be kicked out of the uni if I did that to them!

It'd mean that the IT department would have to go around reinstalling Mac OS X on a load of Macs!

One day, I would like to try dual booting Mac OS X with Windows, even if just to run sudo rm -rf on it. Also, I believe that the Windows filesystem is read only with regards to Mac OS, so no damage would occur to Windows.

If James Watson's main computer is a Mac can we run the sudo rm -rf on it, so that he boots up to that mad blinky thing that you see in the video? (The blinky thing is a fast continuation of the Apple logo, the no symbol logo and the question mark icon.)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 6:09 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:I'd loved to have done this on my college's Macs. :cool:

That wouldn't have been good!

My university has quite a few Macs but I'd probably be kicked out of the uni if I did that to them!

It'd mean that the IT department would have to go around reinstalling Mac OS X on a load of Macs!

One day, I would like to try dual booting Mac OS X with Windows, even if just to run sudo rm -rf on it. Also, I believe that the Windows filesystem is read only with regards to Mac OS, so no damage would occur to Windows.

If James Watson's main computer is a Mac can we run the sudo rm -rf on it, so that he boots up to that mad blinky thing that you see in the video? (The blinky thing is a fast continuation of the Apple logo, the no symbol logo and the question mark icon.)
We sure can! :yep: :H

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:

Return to “Mac OS X & iOS”