The end of an era :(

Talk about anything that takes your fancy in this forum (within reason of course)! Includes a dedicated sub-forum for forum games. :cool:
spotify95
A jungle man

The end of an era :(

Postby spotify95 » December 28th, 2020, 4:17 pm

See here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tr ... st-4923016

The HST trains that are in use on the Midland Mainline can only be in service until May 31st, 2021, at the latest - due to accessibility regulations that deem them "non-compliant".
They've lasted so long and they are in better condition than the "Meridian" trains that replaced them. They also have more functionality: they are longer (so won't be overcrowded) and have windows that actually let FM/DAB/3G/4G signals through them.
In fact, when I did my testing, I could get a good FM signal from Wellingborough station to Leicester station on the HSTs, using lower powered radio stations (i.e. the ones that are more local and more difficult to receive over larger distances). The same could not be said for a Meridian, whereby I was lucky to receive anything at all.

If there was any way of doing so, I'd buy some of the bits of interior from old HST coaches before they were/are sent to scrap (which a lot of them will likely be scrapped).

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: The end of an era :(

Postby pinkteddyx64 » December 28th, 2020, 4:38 pm

spotify95 wrote:See here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tr ... st-4923016

The HST trains that are in use on the Midland Mainline can only be in service until May 31st, 2021, at the latest - due to accessibility regulations that deem them "non-compliant".
They've lasted so long and they are in better condition than the "Meridian" trains that replaced them. They also have more functionality: they are longer (so won't be overcrowded) and have windows that actually let FM/DAB/3G/4G signals through them.
In fact, when I did my testing, I could get a good FM signal from Wellingborough station to Leicester station on the HSTs, using lower powered radio stations (i.e. the ones that are more local and more difficult to receive over larger distances). The same could not be said for a Meridian, whereby I was lucky to receive anything at all.

If there was any way of doing so, I'd buy some of the bits of interior from old HST coaches before they were/are sent to scrap (which a lot of them will likely be scrapped).

If it was at all possible, I'd replace the engines in the HSTs with batteries (battery powered trains exist), they can recharge at stop overs instead of 'refueling' and be more environmentally friendly.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Re: The end of an era :(

Postby spotify95 » December 28th, 2020, 8:36 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:See here: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tr ... st-4923016

If it was at all possible, I'd replace the engines in the HSTs with batteries (battery powered trains exist), they can recharge at stop overs instead of 'refueling' and be more environmentally friendly.

Good idea - also have them connect to the electrified parts of the rail network, so that they can run on electric power where possible (as well as charging the batteries), then run on battery power whilst on unelectrified parts. That would make them more environmental friendly.
So yes, you can make 40 year old trains more environmentally friendly, with much more modern technology, but the problem I see is the "accessibility requirements", and that it would probably be cheaper to just order new trains in... hence why a lot of providers have just ordered new rolling stock, and scrapped the older trains. :(

Return to “Chat”