The O2 bashing thread

Discuss music, TV programmes, channels, radio stations, photography and film, media celebrities and also print and online media here, plus the technical aspects of television.
spotify95
A jungle man

The O2 bashing thread

Postby spotify95 » September 5th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Basically, as in the description...

Has anyone been disappointed in O2's mobile service, or have anything negative to say about them?

If so, bash away! :) After all, constructive criticism is key. :)

Note: I have never been with the O2 network (and don't intend to either) but might buy a cheap sim card in the future so I can see just how poor things are.

My contribution is from this video I found on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJMwZp ... be&t=9m29s

This is a very long video, testing various 3G and 4G networks. However, I wouldn't want to be on O2, as the fastest speeds at Kings Cross Station is not 4G (or even 3G!), but in fact, EDGE (2G).

Is this the one network that has a piss poor 3G service?

Discuss...

bekbok
Super party animal

Re: The O2 bashing thread

Postby bekbok » September 5th, 2014, 4:55 pm

As I've said elsewhere, I found O2 to have terrible signal. I used to have to balance my phone on the windowsill, standing as close to upright as possible just to get a connection to the mast that was only good enough for texting. If I wanted to call I had to go for a walk to find a spot with signal. One of the main reasons why I switched from their network. Nearly went to giffgaff, but it runs on O2 so would have been no good either.

There's something you better understand about me 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it: I am definitely a mad man with a box. :D
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 5th, 2014, 5:01 pm

And... a 3G error... (same video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRJMwZp ... e&t=35m15s

I certainly would NOT want to be on O2 for data. :mad:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 5th, 2014, 5:04 pm

bekbok wrote:As I've said elsewhere, I found O2 to have terrible signal. I used to have to balance my phone on the windowsill, standing as close to upright as possible just to get a connection to the mast that was only good enough for texting. If I wanted to call I had to go for a walk to find a spot with signal. One of the main reasons why I switched from their network. Nearly went to gifgaf, but it runs on O2 so would have been no good either.

And that's without taking into consideration needs for 3G data! :mad:

You wouldn't want to use Giffgaff, or even Tesco Mobile, as they both use the nasty o2 network. :(

Luckily we're quite close to an EE mast where I live, and more importantly, it's 3g too.

I might just buy a cheap sim card (and not top it up with anything!) just so I can monitor signal levels from different companies.

Btw, I've also heard Vodafone to be poor on 3G, and that Voda and O2 share masts... Though remember, combining 2 crap 3G networks does NOT make one good 3g network!!!!

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 5th, 2014, 5:16 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:As I've said elsewhere, I found O2 to have terrible signal. I used to have to balance my phone on the windowsill, standing as close to upright as possible just to get a connection to the mast that was only good enough for texting. If I wanted to call I had to go for a walk to find a spot with signal. One of the main reasons why I switched from their network. Nearly went to gifgaf, but it runs on O2 so would have been no good either.

You wouldn't want to use Giffgaff, or even Tesco Mobile, as they both use the nasty o2 network. :(

Luckily we're quite close to an EE mast where I live, and more importantly, it's 3g too.

I might just buy a cheap sim card (and not top it up with anything!) just so I can monitor signal levels from different companies.

Btw, I've also heard Vodafone to be poor on 3G, and that Voda and O2 share masts... Though remember, combining 2 crap 3G networks does NOT make one good 3g network!!!!

Yep, made texting fun, used to lead out of my bed towards the window at night to get signal.

Exactly, that's why I didn't go with giffgaff. :p

That's good, no idea where my nearest 3 mast is, all I know is I get good signal. :)

Could do, but then surely you'd be forever switching sim cards about.

Unless between them they cover everywhere, but they won't as they'll have focused on main population areas (well, that's what you'd expect)

There's something you better understand about me 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it: I am definitely a mad man with a box. :D
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 5th, 2014, 7:00 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Yep, made texting fun, used to lead out of my bed towards the window at night to get signal.

That's good, no idea where my nearest 3 mast is, all I know is I get good signal. :)

Unless between them they cover everywhere, but they won't as they'll have focused on main population areas (well, that's what you'd expect)

That sounds very fun indeed! :D Hunt that signal!!!

Giffgaff would have been very poor... I searched for networks and found O2, though (a) don't know if it is 2g or 3g, and (b) I live quite close to a mast for most providers. :)

I'd stick to the virgin sim for the s4. I'd just do it as a test function, using the crappy ZTE Blade 3 as a test phone. see if I get any sort of signal. :)

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 5th, 2014, 7:11 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Giffgaff would have been very poor... I searched for networks and found O2, though (a) don't know if it is 2g or 3g, and (b) I live quite close to a mast for most providers. :)

I'd stick to the virgin sim for the s4. I'd just do it as a test function, using the crappy ZTE Blade 3 as a test phone. see if I get any sort of signal. :)

It was, but I got bored of it quickly and wouldn't like to repeat the experience. Nearly fell out of bed a few times (was in a bunk bed style one with a desk underneath, so that wouldn't have been good), as well as turning out the light. :p

It's the main reason I didn't go with them as when I was looking the plans and prices were very reasonable.

Fair enough, though older/crappier phones aren't always as good at picking up signal. :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 5th, 2014, 10:05 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

It was, but I got bored of it quickly and wouldn't like to repeat the experience. Nearly fell out of bed a few times (was in a bunk bed style one with a desk underneath, so that wouldn't have been good), as well as turning out the light. :p

It's the main reason I didn't go with them as when I was looking the plans and prices were very reasonable.

Fair enough, though older/crappier phones aren't always as good at picking up signal. :)

In hindsight it doesn't sound like a good idea at all :D

Price is not everything... Virgin Mobile prices are reasonable though they don't offer a good service. 1) there is no 4G, 2) They don't allow tethering (though I have tethered with them!) and 3) Their unlimited plans are not unlimited.

Surprisingly, the cheap crappy ZTE picked up weaker signals better than my Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus. :)

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 5th, 2014, 10:27 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Price is not everything... Virgin Mobile prices are reasonable though they don't offer a good service. 1) there is no 4G, 2) They don't allow tethering (though I have tethered with them!) and 3) Their unlimited plans are not unlimited.

Surprisingly, the cheap crappy ZTE picked up weaker signals better than my Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus. :)

Yeah, it's one of those things that as I started doing at 11, along with swinging off bars on a double height ceiling so it seamed normal 6 years later (as does crappy food and marching into lunch, which I oddly really miss) :p

At the time to me 4G didn't matter as I wasn't going to have a 4G phone for at least a year, but it was proper unlimited (either that or what I thought would be plently before my tethering habit started) so would have been fine for me, bar the O2 signal bit.

Fair enough, my current phone picks up a bad signal at home, but I know it's the phone as the S2 gets a far better signal, as does my dad and his gf. :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 7th, 2014, 9:58 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Yeah, it's one of those things that as I started doing at 11, along with swinging off bars on a double height ceiling so it seamed normal 6 years later (as does crappy food and marching into lunch, which I oddly really miss) :p

At the time to me 4G didn't matter as I wasn't going to have a 4G phone for at least a year, but it was proper unlimited (either that or what I thought would be plently before my tethering habit started) so would have been fine for me, bar the O2 signal bit.

Fair enough, my current phone picks up a bad signal at home, but I know it's the phone as the S2 gets a far better signal, as does my dad and his gf. :)

4G hasn't mattered to me for a while, until I got the S4 as that was my first 4G enabled phone.

It really depends on the phone. My ZTE picked up signals better than the Ace Plus, and the S4 is about the same as the Blade 3 in terms of blackspots.

However, the S4 prefers 2G whereas the Ace Plus (and ZTE) prefers 3G.

Though 2G performance won't matter if I move to Three.

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 11th, 2014, 2:25 pm

spotify95 wrote:4G hasn't mattered to me for a while, until I got the S4 as that was my first 4G enabled phone.

It really depends on the phone. My ZTE picked up signals better than the Ace Plus, and the S4 is about the same as the Blade 3 in terms of blackspots.

Yeah, it's one of those things that for now isn't essential, but people are slowly upgrading to it.

Exactly, no nasty 2G on three. :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 12th, 2014, 9:10 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:4G hasn't mattered to me for a while, until I got the S4 as that was my first 4G enabled phone.

Yeah, it's one of those things that for now isn't essential, but people are slowly upgrading to it.

In my opinion:
Can I live without 4G? Yes, as I currently use 3G, but 4G will definitely help give faster browsing and more reliable streaming.
Can I live without 3G? NO! TuneIn Radio will NOT work on 2G and internet browsing (even sites like DS and TSR) is incredibly slow.

The only thing with Three is that no 3G = nothing at all, but (a) That's how my phone is set to anyway with VM, and (b) Three share masts with EE, so the coverage should be the same!

bekbok
Super party animal

Postby bekbok » September 13th, 2014, 2:55 pm

spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

In my opinion:
Can I live without 4G? Yes, as I currently use 3G, but 4G will definitely help give faster browsing and more reliable streaming.
Can I live without 3G? NO! TuneIn Radio will NOT work on 2G and internet browsing (even sites like DS and TSR) is incredibly slow.

The only thing with Three is that no 3G = nothing at all, but (a) That's how my phone is set to anyway with VM, and (b) Three share masts with EE, so the coverage should be the same!

I agree with you, but I suspect once 4G becomes more common, the view will change to 'I need 4G'

Yeah, the coverage should be fine :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 15th, 2014, 7:45 pm

bekbok wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
bekbok wrote:

In my opinion:

I agree with you, but I suspect once 4G becomes more common, the view will change to 'I need 4G'

Yeah, the coverage should be fine :)

I doubt it... "I need 4G" - 3G is usable, most stuff will work. I used TuneIn for over an hour yesterday on 3G+ DC HSPA+ and it worked fine. Only a couple of 3G dead spots, in which I received nowt.

However, I need 3G - as Tune In won't work on 2G (of any kind)

I think I will do a more thorough test, when I can - test GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and HSPA/HSPA+ on TuneIn and see how they perform.

I did a few tests for scanning for different providers' signals, and wherever I got a Virgin/EE signal, I also got a "3 UK" signal. :)

As a contrast, O2's 3G was patchy, and Vodafone's 3G was even patchier! I think those 2 providers rely on 2G more?

mglen

Postby mglen » September 15th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Hey! First post here :D

Yeah o2 are absolutely awful, their 3g coverage is appalling where I live and where you get it it's unusably slow. Not to mention that Three and EE have already started rolling out 4g here and on o2 it is nowhere to be seen :mad: :thumbsdown:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 19th, 2014, 8:21 pm

mglen wrote:Hey! First post here :D

Yeah o2 are absolutely awful, their 3g coverage is appalling where I live and where you get it it's unusably slow. Not to mention that Three and EE have already started rolling out 4g here and on o2 it is nowhere to be seen :mad: :thumbsdown:

From what I've found out, both O2 and Vodafone have very poor 3G coverage except for populated areas.
They are solid on 2G... but I don't want 2G.

EE however seem to cover virtually everywhere on 3G, there's only been a few black spots I've noticed.

Also, wherever I've picked up an EE (actually crappy Virgin) signal, I've also picked up a Three signal - probably because Three and EE share transmission masts (and antennas too) - hence coverage is likely to be good.

I'm on Virgin and although they offer the same coverage as EE, they don't do 4G. Also, due to Virgin's appalling attitude towards tethering, I may be off to Three soon...

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 19th, 2014, 8:37 pm

Just to let you know I have an O2 sim card I intend to use, to test the network with... but I cannot use it atm as my phone is locked to VM.
When I can get it unlocked, I'll test the network out and see for myself how good, or bad, O2 are.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » March 28th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Well O2 are now doing 4G on my local mast... which means that I now have access to a half decent upload connection (via a Giffgaff sim).

However it has messed up my TV signal - nice!

Return to “Media”