Tipping Point redundancy

Discuss music, TV programmes, channels, radio stations, photography and film, media celebrities and also print and online media here, plus the technical aspects of television.
lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Tipping Point redundancy

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 15th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Anyone here seen Tipping Point? That awful game show with the giant cumbersome 2p machine thats more irritating than the ones at Skeg. Well the final round consists of a jackpot counter put into the machine and if you can get out with other Counters u put in then you win £10000. If you don't get it out, then you have two options:
A) Take the money you've earned so far home
B) Trade all your money for 3 final Counters to try and get the jackpot counter

And when contestants choose option A, here's the redundant part: The host Ben Shepherd says something along the lines of "Let's see what happened if you chose the three Counters" and then they put in three Counters and see if the jackpot goes down. This is surely mathematically false as a counter dropped into the machine is random each time! I tried to explain this to my nanar who always says "idiot u shouldve took the Counters u would've got it!" or something.

Anyone else hate this show?

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Tipping Point redundancy

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 15th, 2018, 7:09 pm

coleslaw wrote:Anyone here seen Tipping Point? That awful game show with the giant cumbersome 2p machine thats more irritating than the ones at Skeg. Well the final round consists of a jackpot counter put into the machine and if you can get out with other Counters u put in then you win £10000. If you don't get it out, then you have two options:

And when contestants choose option A, here's the redundant part: The host Ben Shepherd says something along the lines of "Let's see what happened if you chose the three Counters" and then they put in three Counters and see if the jackpot goes down. This is surely mathematically false as a counter dropped into the machine is random each time! I tried to explain this to my nanar who always says "idiot u shouldve took the Counters u would've got it!" or something.

Yes. :# But my grandparents force me to watch it when I'm at their house. :banghead:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 15th, 2018, 7:32 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:Anyone here seen Tipping Point? That awful game show with the giant cumbersome 2p machine thats more irritating than the ones at Skeg. Well the final round consists of a jackpot counter put into the machine and if you can get out with other Counters u put in then you win £10000. If you don't get it out, then you have two options:

Yes. :# But my grandparents force me to watch it when I'm at their house. :banghead:

Which one do you thinks better The Chase or Tipping Point?

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 15th, 2018, 7:43 pm

coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Neither, I hate both. :unimpressed: :#

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 15th, 2018, 7:47 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

Crikey, the two 'bigguns' and you hate both!
How about these?
Mastermind
Only Connect
University Challenge
Pointless
Ejector seat
Golden balls
Catchphrase
Deal or deal

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 15th, 2018, 7:48 pm

coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

How about these?
Mastermind
Only Connect
University Challenge
Pointless
Ejector seat
Golden balls
Catchphrase
Deal or deal

I love watching Catchphrase. :o

Mastermind is OK. :)

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 18th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Yes, I have seen that Tipping Point program before! I used to watch it quite a lot, but nowadays I don't bother, and I look for something else. Most people tend to choose the wrong drop zone to put the Jackpot counter in; they should always pick the one with the most money in it as they can always get a decent amount of money if they don't take the £10,000 home.

Regarding the end result, whereby they play on to see "what would have happened", you are correct in stating that the end result is random, and not realistic.
However, I have found out from watching the show on TV, that the following is the most likely:
If the Jackpot is hanging over the edge then take the trade, it will almost certainly fall.
If the Jackpot is the next coin to fall over the edge (i.e. at the edge of the shelf), take the trade. It will only require 1 out of 3 counters to fall in the correct place for the win.
If the Jackpot coin is only just on the lower shelf, i.e. there is a coin in front of it, take the money home, as getting 2 out of 3 in the right place is likely not going to happen.
If the Jackpot coin is still on the top shelf then you'd be a fool not to take the money and run.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 18th, 2018, 8:41 pm

coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

How about these?
Mastermind
Only Connect
University Challenge
Pointless
Ejector seat
Golden balls
Catchphrase
Deal or deal

Love watching Pointless, watch it very often

Used to watch Deal Or No Deal quite a lot a few years ago, now don't watch it. It must have been going for a good 10 years now as I remember watching it when I was a lot younger !

Always used to watch Golden Balls, shame it is no longer on (except on Challenge TV occasionally)

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 18th, 2018, 9:53 pm

spotify95 wrote:

Yes, I have seen that Tipping Point program before! I used to watch it quite a lot, but nowadays I don't bother, and I look for something else. Most people tend to choose the wrong drop zone to put the Jackpot counter in; they should always pick the one with the most money in it as they can always get a decent amount of money if they don't take the £10,000 home.

Regarding the end result, whereby they play on to see "what would have happened", you are correct in stating that the end result is random, and not realistic.
However, I have found out from watching the show on TV, that the following is the most likely:
If the Jackpot is hanging over the edge then take the trade, it will almost certainly fall.
If the Jackpot is the next coin to fall over the edge (i.e. at the edge of the shelf), take the trade. It will only require 1 out of 3 counters to fall in the correct place for the win.
If the Jackpot coin is only just on the lower shelf, i.e. there is a coin in front of it, take the money home, as getting 2 out of 3 in the right place is likely not going to happen.
If the Jackpot coin is still on the top shelf then you'd be a fool not to take the money and run.

Yup If the jackpot is on the edge that means it needs a minimum of One counter so you have a good chance. Otherwise just take the money. Some contestants even start not bothering to go for the counter as they know they wont get it and go for a different drop zone to try rack up some more money :rofl:
Pointless is still pretty good, almost 10 years old now i think? Deal or no deal was entertaining when i was younger. It was one of those shows that was on when i was ill from school like jeremy kyle or bargain hunt :rofl: I think it's ended now though.

Golden Balls was really good. You might have seen this clip before if you've ever delved into game theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qjK3TWZE8 a pretty genius twist on the Nash Equilibrium!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 18th, 2018, 10:25 pm

coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Yup If the jackpot is on the edge that means it needs a minimum of One counter so you have a good chance. Otherwise just take the money. Some contestants even start not bothering to go for the counter as they know they wont get it and go for a different drop zone to try rack up some more money :rofl:
Pointless is still pretty good, almost 10 years old now i think? Deal or no deal was entertaining when i was younger. It was one of those shows that was on when i was ill from school like jeremy kyle or bargain hunt :rofl: I think it's ended now though.

Golden Balls was really good. You might have seen this clip before if you've ever delved into game theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0qjK3TWZE8 a pretty genius twist on the Nash Equilibrium!

I remember that Golden Balls episode, it was the only episode whereby someone said they wouldn't split! It worked though, as in the end, they did split, and they took the money equally. 99% of cases resulted in the players pleading for each other to split, and very few cases ended up with 2x splits.
Most of the time, especially with high amounts to play for, one or both players stole.

Just checked and DOND ended in late 2016 :( That was a shame as it was a good game show that carried on for over a decade, according to wikipedia, and that sounds about right from when I used to watch it !

Bargain Hunt is good, I watch it as often as I can, unfortunately you know when the contestants are buying pure shite that you know will lose money. Usually if it is priced at £150 (or above) then, to stand any chance in auction, you have to take off the leading 1. In 99% of cases, this doesn't happen, so a big loss is made.

The Jeremy Kyle Show is just a pure waste of oxygen and should be abolished. All it does is instigate rows, especially when someone fails the lie detector for cheating or stealing.

Regarding Tipping Point, I did see a few occasions whereby people went for a drop zone with more money, and completely abandoned the Jackpot! in which case, why even bother with the final Jackpot round when it is likely not going to be won anyway!

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » January 18th, 2018, 11:12 pm

spotify95 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

I remember that Golden Balls episode, it was the only episode whereby someone said they wouldn't split! It worked though, as in the end, they did split, and they took the money equally. 99% of cases resulted in the players pleading for each other to split, and very few cases ended up with 2x splits.
Most of the time, especially with high amounts to play for, one or both players stole.

Just checked and DOND ended in late 2016 :( That was a shame as it was a good game show that carried on for over a decade, according to wikipedia, and that sounds about right from when I used to watch it !

Bargain Hunt is good, I watch it as often as I can, unfortunately you know when the contestants are buying pure shite that you know will lose money. Usually if it is priced at £150 (or above) then, to stand any chance in auction, you have to take off the leading 1. In 99% of cases, this doesn't happen, so a big loss is made.

The Jeremy Kyle Show is just a pure waste of oxygen and should be abolished. All it does is instigate rows, especially when someone fails the lie detector for cheating or stealing.

Regarding Tipping Point, I did see a few occasions whereby people went for a drop zone with more money, and completely abandoned the Jackpot! in which case, why even bother with the final Jackpot round when it is likely not going to be won anyway!

Yep, saying that youre going to steal is the best move (if you also offer to split after the show) It forces them to split. Obviously not 100%, even factoring in that because of the widespread attention of that episode people could bluff and confuse things even more!
I like bargain hunt, some interesting stuff always pops up on there. Jezza needs to stop it's obvious all the shows are scripted anyway :rofl:

Just noticed something with Tipping Point today as well. Im sure theyve added a new rule. At the final round Ben Shepherd said if you get the jackpot counter AND the x2 counter at the same time you get 20k?? Pretty sure this wasnt a rule before, even when x2 counters were introduced!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 18th, 2018, 11:39 pm

coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Yep, saying that youre going to steal is the best move (if you also offer to split after the show) It forces them to split. Obviously not 100%, even factoring in that because of the widespread attention of that episode people could bluff and confuse things even more!
I like bargain hunt, some interesting stuff always pops up on there. Jezza needs to stop it's obvious all the shows are scripted anyway :rofl:

Just noticed something with Tipping Point today as well. Im sure theyve added a new rule. At the final round Ben Shepherd said if you get the jackpot counter AND the x2 counter at the same time you get 20k?? Pretty sure this wasnt a rule before, even when x2 counters were introduced!

Yeah, that's a new rule they've added; it shows up on Wikipedia now that getting a Jackpot and a X2 will get £20,000 jackpot. Chances are, this will make more people go chasing the Jackpot Counter(s) and make people put the Jackpot Counter into the wrong drop zone in the very small hope of getting £20,000 instead of £10,000.

If a drop zone has more money in it than the others then put the Jackpot Counter into that zone - at least it means you'll get a decent amount if you can't get the Jackpot. You'll get much more than what a X2 drop would give anyway, as the X2 Counter(s) double only what falls at the same time. So if only 1 or 2 counters fall (which is likely on a very sparce shelf) then you'd have been better off going for a more densely filled drop zone (without the X2) anyway!

I think the producers banned people from saying about splitting the money afterwards, due to that episode in question. Though that doesn't mean people won't lie and cheat their way into stealing!
You can look more into how to spot deceptiveness through this video, that was made after a £100k Split or Steal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtJBG4ReBcU

There was once an episode of Bargain Hunt in which Phillip Serell bought, as a bonus buy for a team, a set of 4x big outdoor floodlights! When I first saw the episode, I thought that the lights were High Pressure Sodium, though they could well have also been Metal Halide instead (as featured in DMU Queens). Of course, no-one wants a set of lamps that haven't been tested, the bulbs/ballasts/ignitors/capacitors could have gone kaput, and of course most people want energy efficient sources of light, such as CFL or LED (preferably LED). Unsurprisingly, the 4x HPS/MH floodlights lost money. :p

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 20th, 2018, 11:56 pm

coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
coleslaw wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

If I didn't have my life to worry about, I'd consider appearing on Jezza's show. :teehee:

lucozadesp0rt
TBAAJ Volunteer Team

Postby lucozadesp0rt » March 16th, 2020, 4:21 pm

Being stuck in lately reminded me how bad daytime tv is. Tipping Point continues to annoy me with some the most stupid quiz show questions ive heard:

"When written down, what letter in the word pizza appears twice?" Had me stumped
"In the 2018 FIFA World Cup held in Russia, in what capital city did the final take place?" Very redundant
"The actor who played Graham O Brien alongside Jodie Whittaker in the latest series of Doctor who who is a quiz show host is Bradley who?" Surprised Ben Shephard didnt have a stroke reading that out

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » June 20th, 2020, 11:06 pm

lucozadesp0rt wrote:Being stuck in lately reminded me how bad daytime tv is. Tipping Point continues to annoy me with some the most stupid quiz show questions ive heard:

"When written down, what letter in the word pizza appears twice?" Had me stumped
"In the 2018 FIFA World Cup held in Russia, in what capital city did the final take place?" Very redundant
"The actor who played Graham O Brien alongside Jodie Whittaker in the latest series of Doctor who who is a quiz show host is Bradley who?" Surprised Ben Shephard didnt have a stroke reading that out

Thanks to the current circumstances, the quality of TV output has dropped dramatically. I complete agree with your viewpoints!

a) answer is Z - piZZa
b) Well, that's the capital of Russia - which I believe is Moscow?
c) Bradley Walsh - a.k.a. the host of The Chase (and previous quiz Cash Trapped).

I do not watch Tipping Point though.

As for other shows:
1) Bargain Hunt has dropped dramatically in terms of quality: thy now have stupid "challenges" which have to be fulfilled. One item has to fit a certain theme, decided by the host - and one item has to be £75 or more in value (this almost always loses money for the team). That leaves just 1 item that the team can buy for themselves, unless they can combine the challenge with the £75+ item.
1b) The auction format has also been altered, and not for the better, It's now seeming like the Bonus Buy is more of a pressure point for the team to accept, given that the team only know what the Bonus Buy is once the auction of the first 3 items has finished.
2) Pointless - don't watch that any more. The hosts waffle on too much and the amount of money paid out is poor. A "jackpot" of £1000 if the prize was previously won? Tipping Point has a jackpot of £10,000 - or even £20,000 if you are lucky enough to combine the Star counter with the X2 counter (the consolation prize, if you take the money and avoid the Trade, having not won the Jackpot, is usually over £1000 anyway). The Chase often has the prize fund above £1,000 per contestant: in fact, if no contestants get through at all, the whole team is brought back for the Final Chase, playing for a total of £4,000 (i.e. £1,000 each). Yet on Pointless, the "jackpot" is £1000 per day (excluding Pointless answers gained, which often doesn't happen anyway), split between the couple in question - so a win every other game would match the consolation prize of The Chase!

For me, the TV goes onto Flog It at 4.30pm followed by The Chase at 5.15pm. Yes, I miss the first 15 minutes of The Chase, so what...

Return to “Media”