Selling my Acer Aspire 5742 laptop [EDIT: NOW SOLD]

Got something to sell to us on eBay or Gumtree etc? Post about it here. :H
spotify95
A jungle man

Selling my Acer Aspire 5742 laptop [EDIT: NOW SOLD]

Postby spotify95 » January 4th, 2020, 4:15 pm

I've finally decided to sell my Acer Aspire 5742 laptop, it will be listed on eBay in the coming days.

Reason is because it doesn't get used: my HP laptop has Windows 7 (as well as Windows 10) so don't need a less powerful laptop to keep the same OS on.
It's also no good for lighter games due to issues previously discussed, and for heavier games, a desktop (or gaming laptop) is required.

Still fine for most everyday tasks, and upgraded to Windows 10.

EDIT: This laptop has now sold and been paid for.

unturned_cake
The jungle girl

Re: Selling my Acer Aspire 5742 laptop [EDIT: NOW SOLD]

Postby unturned_cake » March 29th, 2020, 4:01 pm

O.o ooh
Was it the same Acer with overheating issues? :beardshake:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » April 16th, 2020, 3:23 pm

unturned_cake wrote:O.o ooh

Yes, it was - it has a design flaw which results in overheating. Many other users have also had the same issues, and disassembling it is a nightmare too.

If you use it for basic tasks, it's fine.
if you use it for medium tasks, it gets quite hot, but still just about OK.
Anything that is remotely intensive would result in overheating and shutting down.

For example, 1080p YouTube (especially 1080p60), Skype, Google Hangouts, Windows Movie Maker (converting/saving file formats), and any type of gaming (that isn't a very simple game, such as Peggle, or internet based flash games such as Gem Swap 2) would result in overheating and shutting down. Video chats to friends using Skype or Hangouts, as well as saving Movie Maker files, had to be done in 5 minute increments (with about the same length of pause in between!) to avoid a shutdown.

For most things, I now use my HP Pavilion 15.
For more intense stuff, such as gaming, or longer Windows Movie Maker stuff (or anything on that "do not use" list), I use my HP OMEN 15 (set to Comfort mode - better cooling).
For portable stuff, I use my Surface Pro 3 (which can get a bit hot on the above list, but still copes fine).

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » April 16th, 2020, 6:00 pm

spotify95 wrote:

Yes, it was - it has a design flaw which results in overheating. Many other users have also had the same issues, and disassembling it is a nightmare too.

Anything that is remotely intensive would result in overheating and shutting down.

For example, 1080p YouTube (especially 1080p60), Skype, Google Hangouts, Windows Movie Maker (converting/saving file formats), and any type of gaming (that isn't a very simple game, such as Peggle, or internet based flash games such as Gem Swap 2) would result in overheating and shutting down. Video chats to friends using Skype or Hangouts, as well as saving Movie Maker files, had to be done in 5 minute increments (with about the same length of pause in between!) to avoid a shutdown.

For more intense stuff, such as gaming, or longer Windows Movie Maker stuff (or anything on that "do not use" list), I use my HP OMEN 15 (set to Comfort mode - better cooling).
For portable stuff, I use my Surface Pro 3 (which can get a bit hot on the above list, but still copes fine).

How can you even afford a Surface Pro? :dunno:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » April 17th, 2020, 12:37 am

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

How can you even afford a Surface Pro? :dunno:

You don't have to buy every single computer brand new - you can get some good deals on the used market (case in hand with the Acer Aspire - sold for £110 including shipping).
The Surface Pro 3 cost £300 on Gumtree (i5, 4GB, 128GB) and that also included a stylus and keyboard cover, plus a carrying case/cover.

The newer models (e.g. Surface Pro 6/7) cost an awful lot more, yet the older models (1 and 2) do not have the fast 5GHz Wifi that is required.

Return to “The Marketplace”