Destroying Linux on a Virtual Machine

For discussion of all Linux distros and software for the Linux platform.
spotify95
A jungle man

Destroying Linux on a Virtual Machine

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 2:18 pm

As mentioned on one of the other threads, I found out that there is a very easy way of destroying Linux. It works on the same principles as the destruction of Mac OS.

I mentioned on another thread that I tried running Linux on a Virtual Machine. It didn't run very well at all - everything was slow and there was serious lag present.

Since I had no use for the VM, I destroyed it before deleting it from my computer.

The destruction video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgSycqm9u2M.

Another reason why you shouldn't use the sudo command unless you know what you're doing with it - however, at least with Linux, it gives you a warning in the latest versions. Using the --no-preserve-root command will allow the OS to be destroyed.

Again, I must reiterate this: do NOT run the sudo rm -rf / command unless you want to reinstall your OS (and have backed up your files), as it'll take out everything on the hard drive (and any other drives connected to it!).

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Destroying Linux on a Virtual Machine

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Shame my college's computers don't have Linux installed, eh? :rolleyes:

There used to be a computer room that had all the computers dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu but that stopped and they now have just Windows 7 on them. :(

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 5:50 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Shame my college's computers don't have Linux installed, eh? :rolleyes:

There used to be a computer room that had all the computers dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu but that stopped and they now have just Windows 7 on them. :(

Haha, you and your college! :D

I know of an area in one of my uni libraries that has dual boot Windows 7 and Linux machines; there are also some Mac computers. Doing the sudo rm -rf would probably just delete the Linux side of the dual boot (though it depends on whether Linux can write to the Windows partitions or not). However, doing anything like that would no doubt get me kicked straight out of the university.

And anyway, I don't have any need to run Linux, because Windows does everything I need.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 5:55 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:Shame my college's computers don't have Linux installed, eh? :rolleyes:

I know of an area in one of my uni libraries that has dual boot Windows 7 and Linux machines; there are also some Mac computers. Doing the sudo rm -rf would probably just delete the Linux side of the dual boot (though it depends on whether Linux can write to the Windows partitions or not). However, doing anything like that would no doubt get me kicked straight out of the university.

And anyway, I don't have any need to run Linux, because Windows does everything I need.

If the servers for the Virgin Media forums run Linux could we do an sudo rm -rf on them? ;)

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 7th, 2016, 6:02 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

If the servers for the Virgin Media forums run Linux could we do an sudo rm -rf on them? ;)

If you did a sudo rm -rf /* on the VM Forums server, you'd have the wrath of James Watson to deal with, and tbh I doubt he'd be happy! :(

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 7th, 2016, 6:04 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

If you did a sudo rm -rf /* on the VM Forums server, you'd have the wrath of James Watson to deal with, and tbh I doubt he'd be happy! :(
If only we could do a sudo rm -rf on James_W eh? ;)

Return to “Linux”