batteries

For discussion of personal computing and gaming, whether on a desktop, laptop, notebook or netbook as well as gaming consoles. Includes dedicated sub-forums for Mac OS X, Linux and Microsoft Office, as well as gaming consoles and their associated game titles.
spotify95
A jungle man

batteries

Postby spotify95 » August 2nd, 2017, 12:02 am

It's a shame that I don't live anywhere near Hull (or can get to Hull) because someone is offering 2x laptop batteries for an Acer laptop, for just £5:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/laptop-batter ... 1258436747

At that price, it'd be worth it to just take them apart and salvage the cells! One of the cells I tested recently (from an old HP laptop battery) clocked in at over 2100mAh, so there's often plenty of life left in old laptop batteries!

And even better...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/laptop-batter ... 1256685275

£2 for 2 laptop batteries? That's dirt cheap, it's worth it for the 18650 cells inside!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: batteries

Postby pinkteddyx64 » August 2nd, 2017, 12:40 am

princechromey wrote:It's a shame that I don't live anywhere near Hull (or can get to Hull) because someone is offering 2x laptop batteries for an Acer laptop, for just £5:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/laptop-batter ... 1258436747

At that price, it'd be worth it to just take them apart and salvage the cells! One of the cells I tested recently (from an old HP laptop battery) clocked in at over 2100mAh, so there's often plenty of life left in old laptop batteries!

And even better...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/laptop-batter ... 1256685275

£2 for 2 laptop batteries? That's dirt cheap, it's worth it for the 18650 cells inside!

I could buy you them as a gift and I wouldn't even charge you for postage! :H

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » August 2nd, 2017, 5:32 pm

@princechromey Moving to Computer hardware & software as this discussion is about laptop batteries. :yep:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 2nd, 2017, 5:44 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:@princechromey Moving to Computer hardware & software as this discussion is about laptop batteries. :yep:

Cool stuff!

I have seen that, on Gumtree, people are advertising that they are wanting old dead, used or new laptop batteries. I wonder if those people are doing the same sort of thing as me, i.e. disassembling them, then testing the cells?

If there are any laptop batteries you, @S2M, @Zak or @Kyx could get, that they don't need, then that'd be great. If you wanted to take them apart and test them, you could do, or I could do it!

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 2nd, 2017, 11:44 pm

princechromey wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:@princechromey Moving to Computer hardware & software as this discussion is about laptop batteries. :yep:

Cool stuff!

I have seen that, on Gumtree, people are advertising that they are wanting old dead, used or new laptop batteries. I wonder if those people are doing the same sort of thing as me, i.e. disassembling them, then testing the cells?

If there are any laptop batteries you, @S2M, @Zak or @Kyx could get, that they don't need, then that'd be great. If you wanted to take them apart and test them, you could do, or I could do it!

I keep all my old batteries in a jar then throw them away when the jar is full :o

I'll put them in another jar now, and when that jar is full I'll send them over :p

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » August 2nd, 2017, 11:45 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Cool stuff!

I keep all my old batteries in a jar then throw them away when the jar is full :o

I'll put them in another jar now, and when that jar is full I'll send them over :p

:thumbsup:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 2nd, 2017, 11:52 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Cool stuff!

If your batteries run out of life, you should take them to a battery recycle point, rather than throwing them in the waste! :D Though of course, they probably have some life left, which I can make use of (thanks!).

Speaking of, have you watched this ye?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_uqlFt5iks

I did this for a good 2 years and I have a ton of batteries left over from that - if you want free batteries, you should try it. All you need is a multimeter and a battery source.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 2nd, 2017, 11:58 pm

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Cool stuff!

If your batteries run out of life, you should take them to a battery recycle point, rather than throwing them in the waste! :D Though of course, they probably have some life left, which I can make use of (thanks!).

Speaking of, have you watched this ye?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_uqlFt5iks

I did this for a good 2 years and I have a ton of batteries left over from that - if you want free batteries, you should try it. All you need is a multimeter and a battery source.

I'll just give them to you lol :p

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 2nd, 2017, 11:59 pm

I'll watch the video tomorrow sometime :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 3rd, 2017, 1:08 pm

Kyx wrote:I'll watch the video tomorrow sometime :D

Awesome. I have got tons of batteries that way, including Ni-Cd, Ni-MH, Li-Ion and Li-Po. Virtually all of them have turned out to be good. In fact, I've got a good 200 Ni-MH batteries that need charging.

Plus, I have got even more alkaline and zinc batteries that way. I separate them into new (1.5V+), good (1.0-1.5V) and dead (<1.0V, or those that have leaked). Only the dead ones get recycled. The rest are salvaged and used in my appliances.

Going back to the laptop batteries, I have disassembled all of the laptop battery packs and they seem to all hold a decent voltage (>1.5V). Any Li-Ion cell below 1.0V should be discarded, as they may not charge up very well (if at all).
3 of the laptop batteries (from the HP pack) have been capacity tested and turned out to hold a good capacity (over 2000mAh per cell). The rest all need charging, and testing.
And when you've only got 2x chargers (a TP4056 module and a balance charger) and 1x tester (the aforementioned balance charger), it's gonna take a while... Discharging the cells at 1A each means that a cell with 2000mAh of capacity will take 2 hours to discharge!

Return to “Computer hardware & software”