Virgin Media Wi-Fi is shit

For discussion of personal computing and gaming, whether on a desktop, laptop, notebook or netbook as well as gaming consoles. Includes dedicated sub-forums for Mac OS X, Linux and Microsoft Office, as well as gaming consoles and their associated game titles.
JessPlaysGames

Virgin Media Wi-Fi is shit

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 4th, 2017, 11:31 am

I counted how many times it cut out yesterday. It was 17.

spotify95
A jungle man

Re: Virgin Media Wi-Fi is shit

Postby spotify95 » July 4th, 2017, 11:55 am

Kyx wrote:I counted how many times it cut out yesterday. It was 17.

Oh Christ, that isn't good is it! :p

We've had problems with Virgin Media before as well, for example, not giving me the internet speed that my parents are paying for! Ever since we went to the 70Mbps package, our speeds have been less than 50Mbps. On the 30Mbps package, we always got 30Mbps.

Plus, VM's uploads are shit, 5Mbps! 4G will blow that out of the water.

You should insist to whoever that is managing the internet, that you should upgrade to Sky or BT. Believe me, the only reason I'm using Virgin is because my parents pay for it, if it was my choice it'd be Sky!

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 4th, 2017, 12:00 pm

princechromey wrote:

We've had problems with Virgin Media before as well, for example, not giving me the internet speed that my parents are paying for! Ever since we went to the 70Mbps package, our speeds have been less than 50Mbps. On the 30Mbps package, we always got 30Mbps.

You should insist to whoever that is managing the internet, that you should upgrade to Sky or BT. Believe me, the only reason I'm using Virgin is because my parents pay for it, if it was my choice it'd be Sky!

Same. But at least they are looking around for a better deal. They've told Virgin Media to stuff it :rofl:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 4th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Same. But at least they are looking around for a better deal. They've told Virgin Media to stuff it :rofl:

Well, I managed to get 47.98Mbps topday just now - woohoo! :p It may not be 50Mbps, but for Virgin, it's fast!

Upload was abysmal at 5.11Mbps, though Virgin's uploads are abysmal - and if you upload more than a certain amount (can't remember what the amount is), you can be speed capped by up to 65%. So with the speed cap in place, I'm looking at less than 2Mbps. 3G is faster than this!!!

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 4th, 2017, 8:22 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Well, I managed to get 47.98Mbps topday just now - woohoo! :p It may not be 50Mbps, but for Virgin, it's fast!

Upload was abysmal at 5.11Mbps, though Virgin's uploads are abysmal - and if you upload more than a certain amount (can't remember what the amount is), you can be speed capped by up to 65%. So with the speed cap in place, I'm looking at less than 2Mbps. 3G is faster than this!!!

I might post a thread like this on the VM Community using a James_W impostor.

If you want to complain about VM's upload speeds, using a James_W IMPOSTOR, GO FOR IT :yep:

Note that there is now a reason to always go for the top package, because, not only do VM now match BT/Sky's 20Mbps upload speed, but now:

"If you’re on VIVID 200 Gamer or VIVID 300 then you won’t be traffic managed on your download or upload activity."

Meaning that your upload speeds won't be heavily throttled if you use too much.

However, on the other packages, it's a different story, with upload speeds still way behind what BT and Sky are offering(and it gets worse with the restrictions). See here:
https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-mana ... holds.html

For example, our Super Fiber 70 package (it's certainly not "super" compared to BT/Sky) has a normal speed of 5Mbps upload (way down on Sky/BT's 20Mbps on their nearest equivalent, up to 76Mbps down), but if I use 1.2GB of upload, the speed drops to just 2.5Mbps. If I use 1.5GB upload then it goes even lower, down to a shade under 1.8Mbps. 3G will outperform the lower restriction speed and will get pretty darn close to the upper restriction speed as well - with 4G blowing all of VM's speeds out of the water.

Just as a comparison, a speaker test video is 0.5GB on average, and a Tunein Radio Test video can be up to 2GB (or more), depending on the test. So serious Youtube uploading will not work on VM's packages (except for 200Mbps Gamer, and 300Mbps).

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 5th, 2017, 6:19 am

The wifi only cut out once yesterday :danceboy:

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 5th, 2017, 9:26 am

Cut out twice today already

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 5th, 2017, 1:16 pm

And even worse... barely 25Mbps! I'm supposed to be getting 70Mbps!

Upload still abysmal as ever.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 5th, 2017, 2:22 pm

princechromey wrote:And even worse... barely 25Mbps! I'm supposed to be getting 70Mbps!

Upload still abysmal as ever.

4 times today it's cut out

It's also very slow right now

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 5th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Download speed 18.99 mb/s

Upload speed 5.80 mb/s

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 5th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Kyx wrote:Download speed 18.99 mb/s

Upload speed 5.80 mb/s

At least your upload speed is better than mine, but the download really is quite poor... What should you be getting?

Someone needs to complain about this to Virgin - yours is dropping out, mine isn't getting the advertised speeds....

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » July 5th, 2017, 7:45 pm

princechromey wrote:

Upload speed 5.80 mb/s

At least your upload speed is better than mine, but the download really is quite poor... What should you be getting?

Someone needs to complain about this to Virgin - yours is dropping out, mine isn't getting the advertised speeds....

Virgin Media should be renamed to rip off merchants! :unimpressed: :#

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » July 5th, 2017, 8:15 pm

princechromey wrote:

Upload speed 5.80 mb/s

I have no idea, I'll try to find out tomorrow :)

JessPlaysGames

Ofcom says my wifi is fine but the broadband is shit

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 4th, 2017, 6:38 pm

:stirringupshit:
Attachments
IMG_0067.PNG
IMG_0067.PNG (92.83 KiB) Viewed 40005 times

spotify95
A jungle man

Re: Ofcom says my wifi is fine but the broadband is shit

Postby spotify95 » August 4th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Kyx wrote::stirringupshit:

Hmmm.. Your wifi is fine but broadband not very good?

personally I'd download the Ookla Speedtest app on your device, then run a speedtest on the wi-fi. The Mbps values will tell how crap the broadband is...

You need something like this: https://www.gumtree.com/p/modems-broadb ... 1257263597 which you can shove your SIM into and then use as a wi-fi hotspot. If you can get a SIM with a decent data allowance (and you can pick up 4G fine) then you're all set!

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 4th, 2017, 8:45 pm

princechromey wrote:

personally I'd download the Ookla Speedtest app on your device, then run a speedtest on the wi-fi. The Mbps values will tell how crap the broadband is...

You need something like this: https://www.gumtree.com/p/modems-broadb ... 1257263597 which you can shove your SIM into and then use as a wi-fi hotspot. If you can get a SIM with a decent data allowance (and you can pick up 4G fine) then you're all set!

Ping: 130 ms

Download: 1.76 Mbps

Upload: 0.56 Mbps

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 4th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Cor blimey, that isn't very good is it? I bet you that even 3G would outperform that!

Nice VM Community post as well! I'd post there and back up your post but if I 'd better not - I don't want to upset poor James_W! :D :rofl:

As I mentioned before, do you have a Gumtree account? If so, then message the seller of that 4G router and ask if they will post. If not, then create a Gumtree account (or I can ask for you). That 4G router will be much better than your crappy Virgin Wi-Fi, and in fact if you got a good EE 4G plan (like my 16GB for £21), you'd be absolutely fine for all of your usage.

Even if you got a speed capped plan (at 60Mbps) then you'd be fine, and you'd probably pay less as well - even 60Mbps is better than the crappy 1.75Mbps!
The 4G router would also come in handy if you needed portable wi-fi some time, or if wi-fi doesn't work when you move house in a month.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » August 5th, 2017, 12:42 am

princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Cor blimey, that isn't very good is it? I bet you that even 3G would outperform that!

Nice VM Community post as well! I'd post there and back up your post but if I 'd better not - I don't want to upset poor James_W! :D :rofl:

As I mentioned before, do you have a Gumtree account? If so, then message the seller of that 4G router and ask if they will post. If not, then create a Gumtree account (or I can ask for you). That 4G router will be much better than your crappy Virgin Wi-Fi, and in fact if you got a good EE 4G plan (like my 16GB for £21), you'd be absolutely fine for all of your usage.

Even if you got a speed capped plan (at 60Mbps) then you'd be fine, and you'd probably pay less as well - even 60Mbps is better than the crappy 1.75Mbps!
The 4G router would also come in handy if you needed portable wi-fi some time, or if wi-fi doesn't work when you move house in a month.

Thanks, but I only get 2 GB a month (soon to become 2.5 though) :(

I'll probably just have Sky lol

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » August 5th, 2017, 2:28 pm

Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:
Kyx wrote:
princechromey wrote:

Thanks, but I only get 2 GB a month (soon to become 2.5 though) :(

I'll probably just have Sky lol

Sky is much better than Virgin Media, I'd thoroughly recommend Sky :yep:

In regards to using 4G data on a router, you can do it with any SIM. You can even do it with a PAYG SIM, but it'd be horrendously expensive:

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/4G-and-mo ... d-p/513981

From looking at the EE SIM deals here: https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones# you can get 20GB of data per month at up to 60Mbps for £21 per month. A very good deal, and 60Mbps will be fine for what you need in a router. There's also a 25GB plan for £26 per month, which has the fastest 4G speeds. So there are options that avoid Virgin, even if you do end up having to stay where you are :yep:

Return to “Computer hardware & software”