Windows 10: "Your device needs the latest security updates"

For discussion of personal computing and gaming, whether on a desktop, laptop, notebook or netbook as well as gaming consoles. Includes dedicated sub-forums for Mac OS X, Linux and Microsoft Office, as well as gaming consoles and their associated game titles.
spotify95
A jungle man

Windows 10: "Your device needs the latest security updates"

Postby spotify95 » December 19th, 2017, 6:24 pm

One of my PCs is running Windows 10 and is on version 1511. It was running fine until a Windows Update, which I have rolled back, and I then disabled the Windows Update process.

As you may be aware, there is no option to stop Windows 10 updates - they happen automatically unless you go into "services" at services.msc and disable "wuauserv", which is the Windows Update process.

Well, imagine my surprise when I came to the PC in question and found out that it was updating itself, with a screen saying "your device needs the latest security updates"!

Windows Update was disabled - why on earth did it start updating and why did it install "Window 10 Update Assistant" behind my back?!
Why am I being forced onto the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update?

Thanks a lot Microsoft - now I really know why I am sticking with Windows 7 until EOL, or even further!

Microsoft support article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... l-the-late

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Windows 10: "Your device needs the latest security updates"

Postby pinkteddyx64 » December 19th, 2017, 9:00 pm

spotify95 wrote:One of my PCs is running Windows 10 and is on version 1511. It was running fine until a Windows Update, which I have rolled back, and I then disabled the Windows Update process.

As you may be aware, there is no option to stop Windows 10 updates - they happen automatically unless you go into "services" at services.msc and disable "wuauserv", which is the Windows Update process.

Well, imagine my surprise when I came to the PC in question and found out that it was updating itself, with a screen saying "your device needs the latest security updates"!

Windows Update was disabled - why on earth did it start updating and why did it install "Window 10 Update Assistant" behind my back?!

Thanks a lot Microsoft - now I really know why I am sticking with Windows 7 until EOL, or even further!

Microsoft support article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... l-the-late

Maybe they'd already downloaded before you'd gone into services and disabled the update service?

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » December 19th, 2017, 10:27 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:One of my PCs is running Windows 10 and is on version 1511. It was running fine until a Windows Update, which I have rolled back, and I then disabled the Windows Update process.

Maybe they'd already downloaded before you'd gone into services and disabled the update service?

Nope - the update service had been disabled for many months now ever since one of the updates caused us havoc with being able to browse websites.

The update ended up failing anyway - though you have to go into the task manager and kill a load of processes to stop the CPU from being used too much, and I think these processes are related to the update thingy.
I'll see how it goes in the future, regarding the forced update to 1709... because it's going to keep trying until it updates...

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » December 29th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Well, Windows 10 forced its update on us, and updated the computer to "Creator Fall Update 1709"...

After a few settings tweaks, including disabling Windows Update and Superfetch, as well as restricting Windows Search to manual mode (thanks to Cortana being more deeply integrated - you can't turn it off now without going into the registry) the laptop in question is back to normal. Phewee!

Return to “Computer hardware & software”