Messed around with my laptop for a few hours - performance improved over 100x !

For discussion of personal computing and gaming, whether on a desktop, laptop, notebook or netbook as well as gaming consoles. Includes dedicated sub-forums for Mac OS X, Linux and Microsoft Office, as well as gaming consoles and their associated game titles.
JessPlaysGames

Messed around with my laptop for a few hours - performance improved over 100x !

Postby JessPlaysGames » November 19th, 2017, 11:14 pm

@pinkteddyx64 @spotify95

I would be playing online games and the lag would be unreal. The ping would reach 961. The laptop would make really loud whirring noises and crash. The side of the laptop would get so hot it would burn my fingers.

So I uninstalled and deleted my old antivirus softwares and got a new one. I also cleared all my internet history and cookies. I deleted about 20 GB of junk files, disabled the non essential browser plugins, and defragmented my files.

Restarted the laptop and BOOM!

Instead of a loud whirring, it sounds normal. Instead of burning my fingers, the hard drive has a temperature of 37 Degrees Celsius. Instead of taking 5 minutes to switch on, it takes 5 seconds. I am now able to watch YouTube videos without having to wait 3 hours for them to buffer. They load straight away. My games no longer lag.

And I set up a system restore point to this point, so if I fuck up the performance again, I can get it back to this point :D

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: Messed around with my laptop for a few hours - performance improved over 100x !

Postby pinkteddyx64 » November 19th, 2017, 11:16 pm

Kyx wrote:@pinkteddyx64 @spotify95

I would be playing online games and the lag would be unreal. The ping would reach 961. The laptop would make really loud whirring noises and crash. The side of the laptop would get so hot it would burn my fingers.

So I uninstalled and deleted my old antivirus softwares and got a new one. I also cleared all my internet history and cookies. I deleted about 20 GB of junk files, disabled the non essential browser plugins, and defragmented my files.

Instead of a loud whirring, it sounds normal. Instead of burning my fingers, the hard drive has a temperature of 37 Degrees Celsius. Instead of taking 5 minutes to switch on, it takes 5 seconds. I am now able to watch YouTube videos without having to wait 3 hours for them to buffer. They load straight away. My games no longer lag.

And I set up a system restore point to this point, so if I fuck up the performance again, I can get it back to this point :D

I never hear any whirring from a hard drive on my laptop as it has an SSD instead! :p

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
JessPlaysGames

Re: Messed around with my laptop for a few hours - performance improved over 100x !

Postby JessPlaysGames » November 19th, 2017, 11:18 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:

I never hear any whirring from a hard drive on my laptop as it has an SSD instead! :p

Lucky you :p

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » November 19th, 2017, 11:20 pm

Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

It didn't originally. It had Windows 7 on the hard drive, but when I put the SSD in, I installed Windows 8.1.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » November 19th, 2017, 11:29 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

It didn't originally. It had Windows 7 on the hard drive, but when I put the SSD in, I installed Windows 8.1.

What?! You kidding me?

Personally, I'd have gone for the SSD (assuming it was a 1TB+ SSD) and shoved either Windows 7 or Windows 10 on it. :)

In fact, since SSDs are ridiculously priced above 256GB, I like how my current machine is. 2TB HDD, split into 2x 1TB partitions. One with Windows 7, one with Windows 10.
So I can stick with Windows 7 until 2020 as my main OS and have Windows 10 after then, as well as keeping 7 for my software that won't run on 10.
Awesome stuff. :)

@kyx, regarding your laptop, how on earth did you manage to get such an improvement? I doubt that a fragmented HDD was causing the temps increase (though it would have caused some of the slow performance), was your old AV pegging your CPU at 100%? McAfee does this sometimes on my older laptop.

Though nothing short of replacing the thermal compound, and cleaning the fan/heatsink, will fix the shitty Acer Aspire 5742!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » November 19th, 2017, 11:31 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

What?! You kidding me?

Personally, I'd have gone for the SSD (assuming it was a 1TB+ SSD) and shoved either Windows 7 or Windows 10 on it. :)

In fact, since SSDs are ridiculously priced above 256GB, I like how my current machine is. 2TB HDD, split into 2x 1TB partitions. One with Windows 7, one with Windows 10.
So I can stick with Windows 7 until 2020 as my main OS and have Windows 10 after then, as well as keeping 7 for my software that won't run on 10.

@kyx, regarding your laptop, how on earth did you manage to get such an improvement? I doubt that a fragmented HDD was causing the temps increase (though it would have caused some of the slow performance), was your old AV pegging your CPU at 100%? McAfee does this sometimes on my older laptop.

Though nothing short of replacing the thermal compound, and cleaning the fan/heatsink, will fix the shitty Acer Aspire 5742!

Windows 10 wasn't released yet when I did this, we're talking about around the time I first set this forum up in early 2014.

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » November 19th, 2017, 11:39 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

What?! You kidding me?

Yes it was mainly the AntiVirus, which is why I got a new, better one :p

And my old antivirus managed to let through 2 viruses. They're gone now though :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » November 20th, 2017, 12:18 am

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

What?! You kidding me?

And my old antivirus managed to let through 2 viruses. They're gone now though :D

That's good to hear. Out of interest, what is your old and new AV?
It's great that you got your old viruses gone (I assumed that your old AV was bottlenecking the CPU, or something like that). Though be careful of "false positives", which is when your AV thinks you have a virus when you haven't.

I've also got something else to tell you, related to this, which I'll send a message about.

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Windows 10 wasn't released yet when I did this, we're talking about around the time I first set this forum up in early 2014.

Aah yes, I know the time, though when Windows 10 came out, they gave Windows 8.1 users a free upgrade? Surely you should have taken that, as Windows 10 is better than Windows 8.1?
Heck, even Windows XP is better than Windows 8.1!

JessPlaysGames

Postby JessPlaysGames » November 20th, 2017, 3:38 am

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

What?! You kidding me?

It's great that you got your old viruses gone (I assumed that your old AV was bottlenecking the CPU, or something like that). Though be careful of "false positives", which is when your AV thinks you have a virus when you haven't.

I've also got something else to tell you, related to this, which I'll send a message about.

pinkteddyx64 wrote:Windows 10 wasn't released yet when I did this, we're talking about around the time I first set this forum up in early 2014.

Aah yes, I know the time, though when Windows 10 came out, they gave Windows 8.1 users a free upgrade? Surely you should have taken that, as Windows 10 is better than Windows 8.1?

Apparently windows 8.1 is slightly better than Windows 10. I kept Windows 8.1 rather than switch to Windows 10 :rofl:

Also Avast says that I have 55 good drivers, and 9 out of date drivers :/

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » November 20th, 2017, 3:42 am

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

What?! You kidding me?

I tried but it said my computer wasn't compatible. :#

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » November 20th, 2017, 9:16 am

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

What?! You kidding me?

Apparently windows 8.1 is slightly better than Windows 10. I kept Windows 8.1 rather than switch to Windows 10 :rofl:

Also Avast says that I have 55 good drivers, and 9 out of date drivers :/

I'd personally stick to 10 because the user interface for Windows 8/8.1 was absolutely horrible regarding the Metro UI. The only way to save something is to use Classic Shell to at least give some sort of decent UI.

I'd rather use Linux or Mac OS X instead of Windows 8 or 8.1.

I have IOBit Driver Booster to do my drivers, but I'm not updating my sound driver because otherwise it gets rid of the DTS Audio Control Panel.
Also, for some reason, I can't get Bluetooth working on Windows 7, so I'll have to eventually switch to 10.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » November 20th, 2017, 9:19 am

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:

What?! You kidding me?

I tried but it said my computer wasn't compatible. :#

Aah yes, I know the one - there was a compatibility thing when you tried to install Windows 10, so it would let you know if your laptop was incompatible.
Though most things that run windows 8 would also run 10?

Return to “Computer hardware & software”