DAB is a joke.

Discuss your favourite tunes and radio stations here. :)
spotify95
A jungle man

DAB is a joke.

Postby spotify95 » January 13th, 2015, 8:52 pm

They say that DAB brings in more stations than FM. True, yes - as all we have in Northamptonshire is Heart across the FM dial.

They also say that, according to the leaflet that was with my DAB Radio, that
The audio quality of DAB is near that of a CD

Well, according to this latest article:
http://www.a516digital.com/2015/01/abso ... es-to.html

You're better off listening to Absolute on 1215kHz AM!!!!

How on earth can 80kbps MONO - yes, MONO - be "CD quality"?! A lousy, hissy Capital FM signal on 105.4FM sounds better than DAB - because although it may have some hiss to it, it's still in stereo!

Discuss....

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Re: DAB is a joke.

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 13th, 2015, 10:15 pm

According to one website which no longer exists, the UK has the worst DAB bitrates in the entire world. :cry: :banghead: :cry: :banghead:

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 14th, 2015, 10:15 am

pinkteddyx64 wrote:According to one website which no longer exists, the UK has the worst DAB bitrates in the entire world. :cry: :banghead: :cry: :banghead:

DAB in the UK isn't fit for purpose. It'll only be a matter of time before Classic FM and Capital XTRA are both knocked down to 80kbps mono - thus making D1 an entirely mono multiplex.....

I don't bother with DAB any more; I use TuneIn Radio. Capital FM on TuneIn is either 48k AAC or 128k MP3. with Demon FM having the option of 320k MP3.

Even Kiss have a 48k AAC option available - and 48k AAC sounds a lot better than 80k,or even 64k, MP2 mono.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 14th, 2015, 12:30 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:According to one website which no longer exists, the UK has the worst DAB bitrates in the entire world. :cry: :banghead: :cry: :banghead:

DAB in the UK isn't fit for purpose. It'll only be a matter of time before Classic FM and Capital XTRA are both knocked down to 80kbps mono - thus making D1 an entirely mono multiplex.....

I don't bother with DAB any more; I use TuneIn Radio. Capital FM on TuneIn is either 48k AAC or 128k MP3. with Demon FM having the option of 320k MP3.

Even Kiss have a 48k AAC option available - and 48k AAC sounds a lot better than 80k,or even 64k, MP2 mono.
There are rumours however, that the UK may start to switch to DAB+ in the next 3 or four years.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » January 14th, 2015, 1:49 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

There are rumours however, that the UK may start to switch to DAB+ in the next 3 or four years.

That needs to happen, in order for the quality to come back!

Plus you don't need the capacity on DAB+ - for example, you could use 48k AAC+ and get a better quality sound than what DAB currently is.

Further, you could go to 96kbps AAC+, which would sound even better! :)

However, if we did go DAB+, I'm sure there would be another race to the bottom, with people using 32k or 24k mono streams on DAB+!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » January 14th, 2015, 5:01 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Plus you don't need the capacity on DAB+ - for example, you could use 48k AAC+ and get a better quality sound than what DAB currently is.

However, if we did go DAB+, I'm sure there would be another race to the bottom, with people using 32k or 24k mono streams on DAB+!
In the meantime, can we make Radiogram do the beep test every single day until the first official DAB+ broadcasts begin here in the UK? :thumbsup: :D

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 10th, 2019, 12:06 am

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

I said... ?!

I now own a portable DAB radio which has the ability to pick up DAB+ stations, which we now have some of in the UK.
Trouble is... bitrates such as 32kbps AAC stereo, or even 24kbps AAC, have cropped up...

What good is trying to listen to a music based radio station with such a poor quality transmission rate?!
For comparison, most radio stations on Tunein Radio are available at 48kbps AAC at the minimum (i.e. better quality than DAB, yet requiring very little data), with 128kbps MP3 being an alternative option.

Maybe things will change for the better when all DAB stations are DAB+, but for now, the race to the bottom continues...

Return to “Music and radio”