Lincs FM

Discuss your favourite tunes and radio stations here. :)
pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Lincs FM

Postby pinkteddyx64 » June 2nd, 2014, 7:15 pm

What impression do you get of this radio station in comparison to say Heart or Demon for example?

It is available to listen to here: http://player.lincsfm.co.uk/

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Re: Lincs FM

Postby spotify95 » June 2nd, 2014, 7:27 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:What impression do you get of this radio station in comparison to say Heart or Demon for example?

I went to the seaside on Saturday (Hunstanton) and many of the shops there were playing Lincs FM! :D

I'll give it a listen soon.

What I thought of it over the weekend? Good station, more towards slightly older music than the brand new stuff released in 2014. I think it's target audience is similar to that of Heart, and less similar to Demon FM. (But they don't cut songs short, so I'd take Lincs over Heart any day)

Once again will listen to Lincs in detail soon :)

Edit: Just looked on the coverage maps and Hunstanton is outside the official coverage area (see the coverage maps HERE). But there is a good line of sight over the Wash, hence why it's receivable in Hunstanton.

Edit 2: Having a look at the refreshed coverage maps HERE, Hunstanton is now in the official coverage map. Not surprising!

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » June 2nd, 2014, 7:33 pm

I've managed to get Lincs FM as far up north as Scarborough and I have quite often listened to Lincs FM outside it's intended coverage area in many other locations such as Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield and yet still managed to get a decent signal.

Imageeriously, life's too short to be worried about retards on an internet forum. :eek2: :eek3:
spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » June 2nd, 2014, 9:55 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:I've managed to get Lincs FM as far up north as Scarborough and I have quite often listened to Lincs FM outside it's intended coverage area in many other locations such as Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield and yet still managed to get a decent signal.

That's great :)2

I always try and see how far signals travel before they drop out. Obviously it is good to have a decent aerial in order to do this. :)

I don't care about the station now, but on a good car radio, Heart Peterborough (102.7) travels as far as King's Lynn - then it starts dropping out on the way towards Hunstanton/Cromer due to the large dips and hills affecting the Line Of Sight (LOS) towards the transmitter. That is out of the coverage area by a reasonable margin (outer edge of coverage is just before Kings Lynn)

Another note: Kiss FM Peterborough does exceptionally well on 107.7FM. It's only supposed to cover Peterborough itself yet goes out as far as Thrapston in a westerly direction, and Guyhirn towards the East (where the RDS kicks in and changes to 106.4FM). Towards the north west it fades out just before Colsterworth on the A1 (which is far greater than it's official coverage!)

Though all of this depends on what aerial you use. 2 of our cars have decent external aerials, so pick up radio signals well in fringe reception areas. However, the other car has a built in amplified "grid" aerial on the rear windscreen. Whoever decided this was a decent aerial needs shooting, literally, as it goes against all the rules of Radio Frequency (RF) and what is needed for a reliable signal! :doh2:
Needless to say the reception in that car cuts out significantly earlier.
An amplified, very low gain aerial that isn't suited to the FM frequency's and is the wrong polarity does NOT equal an unamplified external aerial which is the correct polarity and is cut to the FM wavelengths.

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » June 2nd, 2014, 10:00 pm

spotify95 wrote:
pinkteddyx64 wrote:I've managed to get Lincs FM as far up north as Scarborough and I have quite often listened to Lincs FM outside it's intended coverage area in many other locations such as Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield and yet still managed to get a decent signal.

I always try and see how far signals travel before they drop out. Obviously it is good to have a decent aerial in order to do this. :)

I don't care about the station now, but on a good car radio, Heart Peterborough (102.7) travels as far as King's Lynn - then it starts dropping out on the way towards Hunstanton/Cromer due to the large dips and hills affecting the Line Of Sight (LOS) towards the transmitter. That is out of the coverage area by a reasonable margin (outer edge of coverage is just before Kings Lynn)

Another note: Kiss FM Peterborough does exceptionally well on 107.7FM. It's only supposed to cover Peterborough itself yet goes out as far as Thrapston in a westerly direction, and Guyhirn towards the East (where the RDS kicks in and changes to 106.4FM). Towards the north west it fades out just before Colsterworth on the A1 (which is far greater than it's official coverage!)
I've managed to get Lincs FM as far as Skipton in Yorkshire. :cool:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » June 2nd, 2014, 10:25 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

I've managed to get Lincs FM as far as Skipton in Yorkshire. :cool:

That's good.

I think we need to make a thread about long distance transmissions received, and compare our findings. :)

Heart Northamptonshire can't be received further than it's official coverage maps (towards the East), this is due to the terrain and hills affecting the LOS.

Capital East Midlands (Leicester) can be received at my house (near Rushden, Northants) on a radio with a good aerial/tuner. It's not perfect reception, but listenable.
We would normally be well within the coverage area for Capital Leicester, if it wasn't for co-channel issues between Capital and Magic London. Hence the radiation power has been restricted (so we are out of area), but we can still receive a signal. :)

The radiation pattern for 105.4 Capital is here: http://www.ukfree.tv/radiomaps.php?tx=SK725050
However it must be noted there is a huge null between Northampton and Raunds - due to co channel issues! :doh2:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » March 14th, 2015, 6:10 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:What impression do you get of this radio station in comparison to say Heart or Demon for example?

And I can inform you now that Lincs FM has just blown any chances of me ever listening to it in the future!!!! :mad: :banghead: :cry: :cry: :rolleyes: :( :doh: :doh2:

Why? Because they had the nerve to play the worst song of 2013 whilst I was out in Hunstanton today!!!

It played today at 15:41, over the tannoy of one of the shops I was in. Luckily I was able to make a quick exit, before the song really affected me in any negative way.

Nevertheless, because of this, Lincs FM has absolutely blown it.

Who can I sue for this? (Also, can I make James_W listen to the aforementioned song until his ears bleed?)

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » March 14th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Yes you can as regards to James_W and sue Enya for it. :ohyes:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » July 8th, 2015, 9:15 pm

Well, I never! :D

I'm picking up Lincs FM 102.2FM on my portable radio upstairs - despite Classic FM on 101.9 being a lot stronger! And I don't live anywhere near Lincoln!

Edit: Using a good radio system, I can pick up quite a few stations that are outside of their official coverage area - see the thread about receivable stations here.

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » September 14th, 2015, 10:28 pm

I shall not be listening to Lincs FM for the foreseeable future! :banghead:

They seem content on playing the worst song of 2007. It played today...

http://www.lincsfm.co.uk/music/search-f ... 14&time=21 - look at 21:30.

What do you think of said song?

pinkteddyx64
The king of the jungle

Postby pinkteddyx64 » November 3rd, 2019, 12:52 am

spotify95 wrote:I shall not be listening to Lincs FM for the foreseeable future! :banghead:

Hey, don't bash Lincs FM so much! :p

They are getting much, much better as a matter of fact! :beardshake:

spotify95
A jungle man

Postby spotify95 » November 3rd, 2019, 2:10 pm

pinkteddyx64 wrote:
spotify95 wrote:I shall not be listening to Lincs FM for the foreseeable future! :banghead:

Hey, don't bash Lincs FM so much! :p

They are getting much, much better as a matter of fact! :beardshake:

If Lincs FM aren't playing the right music then I have every right to criticize their output :p

The page gives a 404 error anyways, so I can't see what caused me to complain about that station...

Return to “Music and radio”